Communication takes place everywhere – at home, at the workplace, at the place of entertainment. We are capable of communicating verbally, non-verbally, or even in writing. But there is always room for misunderstanding or miscommunication. In order to avoid miscommunication in the case of a business, it is therefore essential to follow the 7 C’s of communication.
7 C’s of Communication:
The 7 C’s of communication or 7 Principles of Communication are exceedingly useful in making business communication efficient and robust. They help in the preparation of robust business communication. These principles are good enough for both written as well as verbal communications.
Let us have a look at the 7 C’s of communication:
1. Completeness: Whatever be the message, it should be clear enough. The message should be factual in nature. In case it is complicated, there should be additional explanations or details to make it simpler and comprehendible. In order to provide a complete overview of the message, a series of subdivisions of subjects can indeed be a good idea.
2. Courtesy: Always approach the audience in a highly courteous manner. There should be an amicable vibe. Respectful terms should be used for the receiver. You need to address someone with the utmost respect. But use the terms flexibly as per the requirement. It is useless to follow the ideology of “one size fits all.”
3. Concreteness: In order to make the business communication robust and clear, make sure you include factual material like data and figures. The sentence structure interpretation should be uni-vocal. There is no room for imagination.
4. Clarity: There should be clarity in business communication. In case you want to bring clarity in the language, use short sentences and concrete words. Always avoid fuzzy language. Cliché expressions, too, are a clear no. Keep the message to the point. Do not digress from the topic and avoid parentheses. Keep in mind that briefly-worded information will always maintain the essence of your message.
5. Correctness: Always use the correct form of language. Be extremely careful about the grammatical errors in case of written business communications. Also, try to avoid stylistic lapses and wrong usage of verbs in case of verbal communication. When you tend to use the correct language, it helps in enhancing the trustworthiness, and you will gain confidence from the receiver’s end.
6. Consideration: Consideration means communication with the target group. It is essential to relate to the target group and make proper involvement. So, take the audience into account and gear the message towards them. There are several factors that play significant roles in this, for instance, level of education, professional knowledge, age, and interests, etc.
7. Conciseness: The storyline of the message should be consistent. There should not be any inconsistencies. The facts, too, should be consistently supporting the information. It is necessary to implement a systematic statement or notation in order to make business communication clear and concise. Varied statements can confuse the receiver.
The 7 C’s of communication plays an important role in every business organization. It is, therefore, necessary to implement them in your day to day to business operations.