Levels of Management is basically a kind of demarcation between different managerial positions in an organization. The number of levels in management depends on the size of the business and workforce and increases when there’s an increase in both these determinants.
The levels of management can be classified in three broad categories:
1. Top level / Administrative level
2. Middle level
3. Low level/ First-line managers
Managers at the various levels enjoy various roles and responsibilities that are discussed below:
1. Top Level of Management
The top management, which includes board of directors, managing director or chief executive, is the ultimate source of authority. It is responsible for managing the overall goals and policies for an organization and devotes their time on planning and synchronizing functions.
Main functions of the top management are:
- Issues important instructions to carry out various procedures.
- Lays down the enterprise’s objectives and policies.
- Prepares strategic plans for the enterprise.
- Appoints the subordinates for middle level.
- Coordinates and controls the activities of all the departments.
- Maintains contact with the external world.
- Guides and directs people at other levels.
2. Middle Level of Management
Middle Level comprises of the branch managers and departmental managers, who are responsible for the functioning of their department. They devote more time to organizational and directional functions.
Their functions can be emphasized as –
- Implement the plans of the enterprise in accordance with the directives and policies of the top management.
- Make plans for the sub-units of the enterprise.
- Participate in employing & training the lower level management.
- Interpret policies from top level management to lower level.
- Coordinates the activities within the division or department.
- Delivers important reports and other crucial data to the top level management.
- Evaluate performance of subordinate managers.
- Inspires lower level managers towards better performance.
3. Lower Level of Management
Also known as supervisory or operative level of management, the lower level management comprises of supervisors, section officers, foreman, superintendent etc. They are responsible for directing and controlling function of management.
Their functions and roles include –
- Assigning tasks to various employees.
- Guiding and instructing workforce for day to day activities.
- Responsible for the quality and quantity of production.
- Responsible for maintaining good relation in the company.
- Interacts with the workforce directly and listen to their problems, offers them valuable suggestion. Also, recommends their appeals to the higher level, if needed.
- Provides training to the peers.
- Prepare periodical reports about the workers’ performance.
- Ensure discipline in the enterprise and motivates the workers.
A proper coordination between the people at various managerial levels is a must for any enterprise to run well and prosper.
Also Read: Levels of human resource management