Ever wondered why soft skills training has become critical to businesses, especially corporates? It is because communication is the lifeblood of any organization and the lack of effective communication can result in huge and costly mistakes.
Effective communication and soft skills can make or break a company and it is not incorrect to refer to them as ‘power skills.’ So, what makes communication skills a must-have in an organization? Read on to find out.
- Increase Employee Productivity – Managers are responsible for guiding the productivity efforts of the company. And they are required to communicate the goals and expectations clearly to the employees to be able to deliver the results on time. Good communication skills allow a smooth and transparent relay of information between managers and employees which reduces the scope of errors.
Moreover, clear instructions to the employees make their work faster, efficient and enjoyable.
Effective Communication Skills → Transparency → Reduced Scope of Error → Increased Productivity
- Establish Effective Leadership – The basic instinct of people in most cases is to not listen carefully. But a good leader makes people want to listen. So, what makes a good leader? The power of speech!
Your team will feel confident about you only when you feel confident about yourself. And, confidence comes when you can communicate your thoughts without struggling for words. Moreover, a good leader in an organization should know what to say and when without hurting the sentiments of employees.
Sentence A – We have a networking session tomorrow for those of you who wish to attend.
Sentence B – We have a networking session tomorrow. We hope you will join us.
See the power of communication?
- Better Planning and Decision Making – The quality of planning and the decisions taken in an organization depends on the quality of communication. If the problems and opportunities are not communicated well between the decision-makers of an organization, the same problems may keep resurfacing.
Moreover, employees need to possess good communication skills too to be able to relay timetables and address potential problems. This aids in better decision making when it concerns the process or deadlines.
Example: To decide the deadline for a project, it is important that the employees are able to justify the time to be taken to complete each task and address the potential challenges.
- Better Employee and Public Relations – Powerful communication creates trust, and hence, coordination among the members of the organization. Also, incomplete or ambiguous statements can risk the reputation of a company. This is why good communication skills are extremely important to project a trustworthy image on the outside.
- Workplace Morale – It is important that employees feel that there is someone who can take the charge and be accountable. This gives them the sense of security that the leader they follow knows what needs to be done. But, if they are not being guided properly and given constructive feedback, their morale will take a hit. This can lead to various small level issues:
- Increased absenteeism
- Poor quality of work
- Internal conflicts
- Increased employee turnover, etc.
The need for effective soft skills in corporates has given way to image consulting and soft skills training, rendering the industry thousands of crores huge. And considering how soft skills are critical for customer satisfaction, business growth, and everything in between, the training industry is only going to get bigger.
An award-winning Image Management Professional, Suman Agarwal has helped students, home-makers, women on sabbatical as well as people seeking second career alternatives to explore Image Management and Soft Skill Training as a vibrant professional choice. She frequently writes blog posts about the urgent need of image consulting professionals and soft skill trainers in the 21st century and loves guiding people in exploring lucrative career options. Write to her at firstname.lastname@example.org to seek advanced career guidance.